Saturday, September 08, 2007

Randomness is very hard to achieve

My mom is making a quilt for me. It'll be nice to curl up with in winter while watching movies or reading and won't be as 'sparky' as my acrylic yarn afghan. It's a mish-mash of various fabrics, but there are 4 of each square with consists of two fabrics that are cut diagonally. It's quite tricky to make sure they are all random and that none of the same are side by side or creating noticeable patterns. It reminded me of a line from the movie 'The Science of Sleep', which I watched a couple of weeks ago and has become one of my all-time favorite movies. The line is from a scene is the two main characters, Stephane and Stephanie, are taking a picture of a fabric boat that Stephanie, who is a fabric artist, has created. Stephane is arranging colored pieces of cellophane around the boat to represent water. Stephanie says that he needs more white ones in a certain area. And then this quote, which I love....

Randomness is very hard to achieve. If you don't take attention, the order comes immediately back.



No comments: